Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cat and Owl by the Moonlight








The glue and chalk pastel cats I did with my three Animal Art camps were such a hit with the kids, I decided to do a take on the idea with my Children's Book Art Camp. Rather than looking at a published children's book inspiration the children (5-9) were given the assignment to create the cover illustration for their own short story or poem about an owl and a cat. We created our owl and cat separately on long sheets of colored construction paper. They could choose any color they wanted. Their pencil designs were gone over in glue and the next day chalk and sometimes oil pastel. They were cut out and glued to a black board where they could finish their piece with moon and stars or even party hats using scrapbook paper. I loved seeing the effort the children took in creating these.

7 comments:

  1. I like the duet of cat and owl.
    The colors and lines are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Owl and the Pussycat, anyone? FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooh, I like that. I do a similar lesson with The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat, but not with glue and chalk. These look good. jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! Pat, I do remember the poem The Owl and The Pussycat. "And they danced by the light of the moon." Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Mary - now you should make the clay cats
    and Owls????
    Cheryl H
    OZ KIDZ ARTZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these - how cool! do you get any break before school starts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea Cheryl. Thanks Pamela. I have the next 3 weeks to take my daughter to swimming lessons,work on my own art, take a quick trip to Laguna and get my fall art project ideas together. Loving Pinterest! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!